Girl Parties

Cheri, Valerie, LaDawn, Evelyn
cute Stefani down front
Pretty much my favorite thing in the world from the age of 5 to the age of 13. 
"Girl Parties" were invented by my aunt Karina.  She participated in beauty pageants.  As a contestant. Don’t worry, she grew out of it.

As I sat in the audience of the Miss Arizona pageant, I couldn't imagine anything more awesome in the world than being in college, dating multiple boys, singing “Stand by Your Man” on stage, and strutting my stuff in a swimming suit for the world to see.  She was one of only a couple contestants that wore a one piece instead of a bikini. She brought some of the glamour home, and when I would visit we would have a Girl Party.

I had cousins that lived nearby my Grandma, and Aunt Karina.  We would all gather for the ritual. A Girl Party consisted of getting your fingernails painted, hair curled and styled, make-up applied, and pictures taken in pageant dresses.  Frequently, we put on a talent show. I recall many, many singalongs to Mariah Carey ensuing.  My favorite ditty was “Without You.” 

 “I can’t live, if livin’ is without you.  I can’t give.  I can’t give anymooooore.” 

 I was pretty awesome at singing along with Mariah Carey with a hairbrush as my microphone.  That’s what my Grandma Helen told me. I believe her.

Lipstick

Hairdoing


Painting fingernails
Liking what she's seeing.

Sometimes I just have to tell the cute feminist voice in my soul ( the one that may have issues with my children identify so early with make-up and prettiness equalizing worth as a woman) to shut up and just have fun being a girl. If that girl happens to be wearing a dress from high school prom, and princess Leia flowers in her hair, so much the better.

Comments

  1. Hi Evelyn. You remember the important facts right. Most importantly that it was a cherished ritual we all enjoyed. Also true, Mariah Carey was my favorite to sing along with. Another true fact: that I grew out of pageants, a little too much perhaps, since my own girls have seen only a few girl parties in their lifetimes.

    Some things to clarify (why? I have no idea): I didn't invent girl parties...maybe coined the phrase, though. We were doing girl parties long before I entered pageant, too. And when I was in pageant, they only allowed one piece swimsuits (I know that shows how old I really am.)

    Thanks for inspiring me to take more time to let my girls enjoy being girls. I really feel a special bond to you and my other nieces who let me use them as cosmetology mannequins. Those were special days!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me