Depression and a Bad Day

Bad days are bad.

This is a post about depression. I am going to talk about how I have it, what I feel like in the lows, and what I do to make it through. I am also going to give a some suggestions to help support people with depression.

Depression isn't who I am. I am fine 80% of the time. I don't even have to worry about it, except to avoid triggers. I struggle the other 20%. I lose 1%. If I put that into a calendar year, I have 3 or 4 bad days a year. 

If you've met me, you might not even realize I have depression. Probably not. It is hard to tell what is going on in someone's head unless they tell you. I am telling you about me. Some people can probably relate, but depression is going to be individual as well. I have 3 bad days a year. Other people have a lot more, some will have less.

Most of the time, depression stays at a distance and I live. I take my kids to the zoo. I wash dishes. I prepare meals. Then, I can feel it creeping on. Like a distant fog that is getting closer. Usually the fog is triggered. Lately, the trigger has been feeling overwhelmed. I feel overwhelmed by potty training, by whining children, by the lack of a full night sleep. Being a stay at home mom is a lot of work with a lot of demands. Most of the time I keep my depression at bay and I can manage it. I may be grumpy and more tired than normal, but it doesn't overwhelm me. 

But, sometimes I have a bad day.

I will probably be in my bed. I will not say many words. My eyes don't want to open. Every hour is a struggle to make it to the next hour. 
It is alone. 
It is cloudy. 
It is sad. 
It is deeply cold. 
It is hopeless. 
It is  frightening. 
It is frightening that I have suicidal thoughts that slip in and out of the fog. It is frightening that I feel nothing to live for. And, it is frightening now to write about that.

A couple of years ago I went to a funeral of someone my own age. I was 29. I was the date to this boy to his Albuquerque High senior prom. 2001. We rode with his friends in a limo, and had a fancy dinner. We danced past midnight. Ten years later, he had just graduated from law school, was engaged to be married in a couple of months. His life was really just beginning. Then, there I was at his funeral. His devastated fiancee sitting in the front row next to his mother. Friends talked at a microphone of his compassion and intellect. He had bought a gun one day in Oregon and used it to end his life. 

A bad day. 

You might not know that I have depression because I treat it and manage it. But, sometimes it wins. It makes me hide. I don't answer phone calls. I don't answer emails. I disappear inside. It feels like I'm not there anymore. 

When I am in it, I just tell myself that it won't last. This isn't me. This isn't my life. It is a bad day.
Just survive.

After I wrote this blog post I had several messages from friends. Some from people who have depression, and some from the support people surrounding them. So, I do think it is important. It is important because depression is dangerous, and deadly, and the nature of the disease is to keep it secret. "Shhhh...don't tell anyone. You aren't even worth talking about." 

Well, obviously that isn't true. Life is so precious, and full of so many possibilities, but when I am low, it FEELS true, and the feelings take on their own reality.

I usually have warning. I can feel that life is getting hard, my temper is getting worse, life is looking dreary. Sometimes it takes months to reach the low. Sometimes it happens in a moment, because I have some very strong triggers that act quickly and debilitate me in an instant.

My survival plan
1) I sleep. I am most likely exhausted.

2) I tell my husband. It is very important that I say the words,"I am having a bad day." Because the words that want to come out are,"I am fine. Don't worry about me." The reality is, I am not fine. I want to be left entirely alone. Completely alone. This is a dangerous plan. 

3) I call the one person I know I can call. It is really important that she answers. 
I tell her I am sad. Somehow, sharing my feelings with someone helps. It breaks through the fog. 

4)I avoid my triggers. I can't express how important it is to know what triggers the depression. Write down what is going on when you are feeling low and figure out the patterns. Some triggers are unavoidable, but it helps to know when you are going into a situation that is going to be stressful. Some of my triggers are: losing my keys, reading/hearing/watching violence towards women and children (I haven't seen any of The Hunger Games movies), broken sleep. The triggers are different for everyone. 

5) The people who support me have a big hard job on these bad days. They need to be around so I can rest. I won't want them around. They need to be around so I stay safe and so my children stay safe. They need to pick up on the signs incase I don't say anything. I will try to hide the signs. They need to treat me like I matter, but not like my feelings are reality. I won't believe that anything is good. They need to get me out of my bed, and preferably outside. I won't want to go. They need to get me to move my body. I will want to stay in bed.

6) When I am feeling a little better, I need to call my doctor. It would be great if I could do that on the bad day, but it is just impractical. 

I'm coming off of a low. It takes time to get my brain back up to normal, but it will happen. Life is good. My kids are cute. They aren't trying to torture me. I like taking photographs. I like being with friends. I enjoy feeling the sun on my skin. Food is actually delicious. 

Welcome back reality. I missed you.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you just went through and episode but I'm glad you're coming out of it. So many things you said resonated with me. I'd never read your Four Loves post but I just did and really enjoyed it, as well. But I have a question: if one of your triggers is feeling overwhelmed, and given the fact that you have a lot of small children, how do you avoid feeling overwhelmed? I would say most moms live in a constant state of overwhelmed-ness. So what are you doing differently?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Em. This is the question, isn't it? I try to get help. As much as people will offer I take it. I try to give myself a break, redefining what success is. I don't have my kids do a lot of extra things. Getting everyone in the car is super hard. I don't know. I am still figuring it out. It is SOOOOO hard! Let's just survive. This is a temporary time, and we can try to enjoy it. But, really, I think asking for help. Making that help as specific as possible so people know how to help. Right now I have someone coming in every couple weeks and helping me organize my house. One of the reasons Ian and I are doing photography is so I have an outlet and we can afford the babysitter. I come back so much happier when I've been away from the kids and interacting with people. Even a couple of hours makes a big difference. Instead of having your visiting teachers come talk to you, have them help you fold laundry or watch one of your kids for a little while. I don't need a chat, I need help. If someone asks how you are doing, tell them. Then it gives them a chance to offer help. Right now in our lives, we need people. It is not optional.

      Delete
    2. What an amazing post, Evelyn. Thank you. I have struggled with depression most of my life and I have been pretty vocal about it. I agree that hiding it does a disservice both to yourself and to other people who then feel it is something to hide. That said, I know what courage it takes to say it publicly and I appreciate your strength.

      For me, depression feels a lot like exhaustion. And guilt. So when I am exhausted or guilty, I am immediately triggered. I don't want to be around anyone except Tris. Small talk feels like torture. I yell at my kids. And the guilt from being a less-than-perfect mom deepens my hopelessness.

      I think your comment that to survive you "redefine what success is" is brilliant. Even thinking about Christmas had me overwhelmed back in early November. Add to the usual holiday stress that all 3 of our younger kids have birthdays in Nov-Dec and also the holidays are a huge emotional trigger for my adopted kids, and I knew these would be tough months. So I redefined and prioritized. I think often it is our own expectations of ourselves that overwhelm us. Some years I don't mail cards or gets lights up outside or give cookies to the neighbors or (insert your own tradition here).... And surprisingly, the world doesn't end. If there is a tree up and a few presents for the children, that is enough for me (and these things are actually optional if you think about it). Any more is icing on the cake. This year I got through the overwhelmed feeling and am having fun with the holidays. When it will probably hit for me is on Jan 6. I call that "adrenaline withdrawal." I do ok under pressure but when the crisis (finals, holidays, illness) is over, I crash.

      I love that you mentioned that you are NOT your depression. One thing that helps me is not to look for a reason. I don't need a reason. I simply feel bad. I may feel that my life reeks and will never get better, but I don't need to examine WHY it does while I am still depressed. I try to save the evaluating and troubleshooting for when I am coming out of it. This can be hard for other people (particularly men) to understand. It is counterproductive to troubleshoot. I am NOT sad because my life reeks and improving my life isn't the solution for the depression. It is a serotonin thing. My life will look much better after my brain chemicals improve.

      Speaking of brain chemicals, some things that help me are first and foremost- a prescription. Professional help is a necessity for me. Beyond that, I use calcium, D3, and Omega 3s (I like mega red krill oil). And a ridiculous dose of chocolate.

      Exercise helps, but I cannot usually bring myself to do it if I am already in a depressive state. It is a preventative tool for me. And I hear you about how hard it is to see the doctor before you are feeling better. The last thing I want to do is to schedule an appointment when I am in that dark place.

      Thank you so much for sharing your struggle. Hang in there. Things may improve without warning - I went many years without needing medication after I had my 3rd child. Even if you always have a handful of really bad days each year, know that you are loved. You are amazingly talented and wonderful. The world is a better place because you are in it.

      Delete
  2. What a post, Evelyn! I agree that depression is SO important to talk about. I've been through a couple of dark periods myself, and it IS really hard to come through. You are doing so many good things to help yourself--resting, telling people, avoiding triggers, calling your doctor,...Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got postpartum after Natalie was born and it's been a battle for me ever since. My symptoms are different than yours - I get ANGRY. When I am having an episode I usually end up yelling and screaming at my kids and my husband, picking fights with him, throwing things around the house, and huffing and puffing until I can lock myself in a bathroom and zone out for a bit. You're not alone! It's very brave of you to put yourself out there and I'm sure someone with depression or someone who has a spouse with depression can find comfort in just reading these words you've shared with us :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had several people tell me they get angry. I get angry when I am going down. If I stay angry, I am actually in a pretty good place. It gets worse after I lose the anger. Thanks, Marcie. I like knowing that good people struggle with the same things. Hugs to you, too. And bravo on your awesome fitness adventure!

      Delete
  4. I appreciate this post. Here's the thing I wonder, though: is anyone NOT depressed? On one hand it is nice for me to know that other people are struggling, too. But on the other hand, it really scares me that it seems like EVERYONE is dealing with it, some openly and some secretly. Did our mothers go through this and just not warn us? Or does it have more to do with our current information-saturated culture? I really don't know... I do appreciate you talking about it though. Helps me feel less crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, CDC statistics show that 1 in 5 adults in America will have depression sometime in their lives. So, yeah. A lot of people have depression. Not everyone, though. People get down or sad, but depression is different. Some of the people who commented on my facebook page do not have depression. Pretty much anyone who said, "call me," are showing genuine compassion, and I appreciate it, but they don't really know what depression is like. I don't mean to minimize their hard times, but it isn't the same. Here is a screening that looks pretty good. http://www.mentalhealthscreening.org/screening/samplescreen

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this part of yourself! It's so true that we all see the happy outer shell of each other and sometimes never suspect that someone might truly be struggling. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. Even 3-4 days a year of what you describe sounds like hell, not to mention all the other times you are fighting it. I am grateful for people like you who will share their feelings and stories so that others feel more comfortable about asking for help. Several months before Alana was born I started to not care about anything. I was grumpy with Brett and so easily frustrated with everyone around me. I stopped finding joy in all the things I normally love and even stopped taking pictures of my adorable boy. After sobbing to my mother on the phone for several days, she encouraged me to get some help. I was grateful to know I wasn't crazy and that lots of "normal" people sometimes need a little help. For me a little medication did the trick and the difference in the way I feel is huge! Thank you again for sharing this and also for being such an amazing person! Your kindness, love, and non-judgmental attitude inspire me to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn, thank you so much for sharing this! I believe you explained so well how so many of us feel. I am so glad to see into your feelings. You are so brave to share this and I along with others as I can see feel so validated and understood. Thank you, for being so brave, I look up to that and hope to be brave enough like you someday to share my thoughts. You ARE an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know Ev, my dragon is a different beast. Anxiety. There are some characteristics that are similar, and some that are not. My Bad days, look very different from yours, but, when they happen there is no "problem solving solution." I know the world isn't going to end. I know things are going to get better. But knowing doesn't stop me from feeling so overwhelmed that all I want to do is lay down and sleep and let the world go away. I am recognizing now that I did have some PD after having Laurel. ( And I know I had some after having Rachel, but the two experiences were very different.) The Holidays can be super difficult for me as well. I get completely overwhelmed. I shut down. I shut people out.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps me with my own battle. You're a rock star. Love your guts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Evelyn,
    Thank you for your words and for sharing from your heart. I stumbled across this in a google search. I am indeed having a bad day, depression and anxiety that just won't quit. It's scary and I want to cry, but I am still fighting enough to breath deeply, go out and get some sunshine, and try to use as many tools to fight it as I can. (Up next: gratitude and some water) Being able to find your words, your story, is a gift to people like me who just need to know that they aren't alone in this and it will be ok.

    So thank you! I wish you the very best and continued strength to fight your darkness and share your light.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me