Modeling from the Waist Down

It's not what it sounds like.

I am a fit model for Cabela's.

That is also not what it sounds like. I did not get this volunteer position based on my physical fitness. The fit model tries on the clothing and tells the designers how it feels when I wear them. I help assess the fit. Because I have a head, and I can speak English, and my waist is small, but within the range of allowableness, and my hips are perfect.

Anyone who tells me my hips are perfect is going to go a long way with me, even if it is based on an industry standard. I don't quibble with perfection.

How did I get this dream job?

The designers sent out an email, and Ian forwarded it to me and said he thought I had good measurements. He is attentive like that. So, I went in and got measured. I do have good measurements-for size medium (or 8)...from the waist down. My bra measurements are too small (no surprise there), and my arms are too long.

I check in at the front, and then I follow my boss who is always pushing an armless, headless mannequin down the halls. We go to where I am trying on clothes. There is a rack of bottoms to try on. I put on the pair they tell me in a discreet, yet totally in the middle of everything location. Then, I walk around in a circle in front of the designers. I hold my shirt up a tiny bit so they can see how the waist sits. Then, I always put my hands in the pockets. Pockets are important to me.

When I try on a competitor's pants, and the pockets are too shallow I say,"How could the fit model let this happen?" It is funny the first 3 times, but loses its punch. Experience taught me the threshold of how many times that joke is funny. Just trust me.

I like fit modeling. I get to give opinions. People tell me when I look cute. When I don't look cute, I can blame it on the mom jeans I am wearing. Plus, the Cabela's designers are fun people. I can't recommend fit modeling enough as a service to the world.

Also, it is fun to tell your dad,"Your little girl is a Cabela's butt model." And then he can be so proud.




Comments

  1. I could have told the people at Cabela's that you would be the perfect fit model. No need to measure you. I mean--well, you know what I mean, Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Sweet! What a fun job. And how cool to know that your hips are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know, Sharee. It is nice. It gets me through the day sometimes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me