Dad's Home

I've been watching M*A*S*H. on Netflix. For those who have never seen it, it is an old television show about a medical unit in The Korean War. It is also about (mostly) charming married men who find love in the arms of nurses. If your significant other is deployed, I would not recommend watching this show.

My husband is not deployed, and he bares a remarkable resemblance to the dashing surgeon known as Hawkeye. Hawkeye was always my favorite. The writers do a good job of making him smart, cynical, and witty. Who wouldn't love him?

Every single time the title sequence plays, I think,"Dad's home!" Even when I watch multiple episodes in a row.

My dad would come home, put his hard-hat and lunchbox beside the refrigerator in the kitchen, and then sit on his chair eating cheese and salsa (I've already tried it. Gross), and watched MASH.

As a girl, I remembered the guy in the dress, the nerdy guy with a teddy bear, Hot Lips, and Hawkeye. All the infidelity went right over my head, and I didn't realize that Hawkeye was hilarious. I just new he was nice to watch. I also didn't realize the man in dresses didn't enjoy wearing dresses. He seemed to like it from where I was sitting.

I married a milder, more religious, sober, and accountancy version of  Hawkeye, am mother to a 4 year old Hot Lips, and became the cheerleader of guys in dresses everywhere.

"Dad's home!"

Cheers to you dad.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me