Movie Review: How to Train Your Dragon 2

I took my three girls to see How to Train Your Dragon 2. The older girls loved the movie, but I regret taking my 3 year old. She was a popcorn and soda hogger, and wanted to go home half way through because she was scared of the bad guy. In her defense, the bad guy was terrifying, the popcorn was delicious, and who doesn't love Sprite?

Last time my husband was at our  movie theater in Sidney, he bought a popcorn bucket. The bucket now only costs $2 to refill. When I went to the movie, I bought a soda mug. That thing costs $1 to refill. So, going to the movies is now a treat extravaganza for only $3.00. Having some popcorn that doesn't cost as much as my ticket really makes a movie more enjoyable. I encourage all movie theaters to do something like this. It seriously makes me want to go to movies more often.


My suggested titles for this movie are: Hiccup the Dragon Whisperer, Alpha Dragon War, and
 Dragon Pirates and their Prosthetic Limbs. I understand why the franchise went with the original title, but it didn't do the movie justice, since it went beyond training.

It was a fantastic flick.

I don't know exactly how the movie starts, since I came in with my bucket of popcorn slightly late, but Hiccup and his blond friend with whom he flirts, are out scoping the dragon land around their clan island and they run into some pirates who are stealing dragons. Come to find out the pirates are working for Evil Jack Sparrow to build a dragon army.  The pirates also tell Hiccup about another unidentified dragon rider who has been rescuing dragons. Hiccup doesn't know who this other dragon rescuer is. Hiccup and blond friend return with the news of the dragon army to King Beard-braids, leader of the dragon training clan. Turns out King Beard-braids has some history with Evil Jack Sparrow and so the plot thickens. The other dragon rider turns out to be the Anne Goodall/Diane Fossey of dragons and that character is one of my favorite part of the movie. The dynamic of this character introduces a cool science to dragon ecology and behavior. Plus, we get to meet baby dragons. Baby dragons!

The movie has plenty of adventure, clever writing, really great characterization and comedic timing. I am impressed with the use of prosthetic limbs, and the overcoming of physical obstacles is not a main theme, but inspiring. There are two cartoon kisses, which are very sweet, and the finest facial hair styling I have ever beheld. The 2nd movie stays true to How to Train Your Dragon Uno, and allows the characters to have aged a few years and get experience riding and training dragons. We see how the relationship between humans and dragons has developed, changed the economy of the clan that once hunted dragons, and how leadership roles change as the needs of the clan that is no longer focused on fighting this enemy turned ally.

If you take a 3 year old, maybe a movie that starts before 7 would be a good idea. I would think twice about showing this movie to children who are transitioning adult guardian roles, such as adoption or foster care children, or if a child has been abandoned by a parent or had a parent die because this movie might bring up confusing emotions. It might also be the opening to a fabulous conversation. Just be aware that there is some of that content within the movie. Otherwise, a fabulous family film that I highly recommend for children, teenagers, or adults.

Watching this movie might make you want to braid some facial hair. I know I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me