My Daughter the Yogi

Yoga has been summoning me back lately.

So, today is the second time I've been a yogi this week. I brought my 9 year old daughter along with me both times. She had physical therapy for tippy toe walking. Such walking creates inflexibility and shortening of things that shouldn't be shortened within the calves area. I thought yoga would help with it, so along she comes. Plus, I love one on one time with my kiddos.

She spends about 20 minutes in child's pose. The rest of the class is doing other things. But, the teacher said at the beginning of class that we could go into child's pose whenever we wanted, and my daughter took her at her word. She wants to be in child's pose a lot.

I am doing other things. Planks, and downward dogs, and extended runners lunges, and baby back bends, and mountain poses.

There she is, child's posing. I sometimes think she is sleeping, but then I hear her deep breaths, like the ocean.

Sometimes she gets up from child's pose.

My daughter will bend downward in forward fold, with her hands extending towards her toes. And then she headbangs. Once, twice, three times. Her hair down, fresh from the swimming pool- uncombed, slightly damp, wild, and flowing.

We pretend like we are dead bugs at the end. Then happy babies.

"One day, yes one day, those toes will touch the ground. And in the end, we are all just happy babies."

And my daughter laughs out loud at this idea. The premise that we are all babies. The laugh explodes from her stomach, and it sounds like a baby.

I think she is doing yoga just right.

Comments

  1. Love this. :) I should bring a child or two with me to yoga.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me