To the Father of my Babies

Dear Ian,

This is the first Father's Day since we've been married that I haven't been with you. That makes me kind of sad, because---you are the best dad ever. Watching the love and fun you bring into our home is amazing. Your Dadding skills are even better than your excel skills.

I remember your first moments as a dad. That baby came by c-section, and so I was an inactive participant in the birth of our child, puking into a bucket, and feeling really pretty.  There you were holding my hand and giving me a play by play of what was happening to my giant purple uterus. Then the baby emerged into the world. You were wearing scrubs, and those funny blue slippers the hospital puts over shoes to keep things sanitary, and a shower-cap hat. You looked awesome. You were able to hold our little girl first. And you said, "I'll try not to drop her," and then bounced out of the room while I listened to them counting the blades, ensuring none were left lying inside my abdomen. Why were there so many blades?

You didn't wait to be a dad until the baby could talk. You just took on the role right away. You were the one that thought of all the fun baby games, like: Roll your baby across the carpet like she's a ball. She loved it. Remember how you also came up with "washing machine" where the baby pushes your nose, and you shake her up and down while spinning in a circle? You were pretty creative with those games, and children's clothing options.

When you come home from work we are all clamoring for your attention. I don't know how you tolerate it all so patiently. Five people are trying to talk to you, and climb on your lap, and hear about your day all at the same time. We do it because you are all of our favorite person. Your children completely adore you, and so do I.

Just today, I was buckling our two year old boy into his car-seat and he was calling for you. He knows his dad would never torture him like that. You would somehow make it into a game and get him giggling about getting his car seat buckled.

I love how you play the piano and bring music into our home. Having our family sing together is one of my favorite things, and you bring so much talent to our family choir. I love how you just sit down at the piano when you have a minute, and play your own arrangements of songs.

It means to much to me that you don't consider yourself babysitting when you are in charge of the children. You take on the role of parent equally with me, and that is important to me.  I have had one of the toughest years the past year. We laughed about a lot of sad things. Thank you for keeping everything together for us while I recovered.

So, I don't know how Father's Day will be for you without your children in your sight, but maybe you can just
remember how much your family appreciates, adores, and depends on you. We wouldn't be "The Hornbargers" without you, sir.

Love,
Evelyn
This is you, slow clapping yourself. You are just that awesome.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me