Nervous Fishing

So, I sometimes hold a pole and say "I'm fishing."

I really do want to catch a fish...sort of.

I don't really want a fish. I don't want to eat it or anything. I don't want to keep it as a pet. I don't want to date it. So, when I say I want to catch a fish, I don't really think I do want to catch one. I want to feel the tension in the rod and then hold something up and get a picture of it. But I don't want to touch it, or gut it, or anything like that.

I like the idea of catch and release. Catch it. Then release it.

Here is the thing about releasing a fish. It has a hook in it. Once you catch a fish, you've put a hook in it. Like, pierced the fishy flesh and the weight of that gilled creature is hanging on a hook. And to release the fish, you have to get that hook out. Did you know that sometimes the hook doesn't come out easily? Sometimes the hook also will cut your finger in your efforts to get it out?
This does not appeal to me.

Also, sometimes when putting the fish back in the water, the fish doesn't do well and goes belly up anyway. I don't want to kill a fish I am not going to eat.

So I like watching fishing.  I yell like  a cheerleader.

"Reel it in, reel it in!" Then as soon as the fish hits air, I change my mind.

I yell, "Put it back, put it back!"

So, here I am fishing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me