The Art of Posing for Pictures

Tis the season for family and school pictures. With the season comes the need for posing for those pictures. We spend a lot of time thinking about location and outfits. That is great. But, also think about your poses. Photographers will help you, but what is it that you want to say about you?

I have a lot of opinions on this subject. And they are just that, opinions. I will present them to you in an entertaining manner. They are not based on science. But, I tend to agree with them. 

I am not going into posing the family, but I will give you some suggestions for your individual shots. I highly encourage you to get some individuals. Even if you are the mom or the dad. You are somebody's daughter or son, you are somebody's mother or father, and you are somebody's aunt or uncle. Those people love you as an individual, and you will never be this same age again. Capture this moment and do it without being bashful. YOU are amazing! Also, it is fun. If you let it be fun.

3 BORING POSES

1. Here is a pose I see all the time. I see it on the beach of Hawaii, I see brides in Korea, I see children at Disneyland sporting the peace signs. 
Are you sick of this pose? I might be a little bit. It lacks creativity. We ALL want peace. Thank you 70s for giving us bell bottoms, and this wonderful thing to do with our fingers in photographes when we feel awkward and can't think of what to do. 

Or this one?

2.  "I look so skinny" pose. The angled one with the knee kicked up. You DO look skinny. Very skinny. Very skinny and we all know what you are up to. 

3. And there is the timeless classic, looking slightly above eye level at the camera, over the shoulder. As a photographer, I actually have people do this one all the time. 
Here is an example:
This one is nice, right. But there are way more fun options.

13 ALTERNATIVE POSES

 If you happen to have flowers, try this.
1. This one says,"Oh! I have flowers!"
2. This one says," My flowers are holding my face up."
3. Learning back and holding flowers. We are all models. I think this pose transcends flowers. Try it with a baseball bat or a basketball. Add some class to your athletic poses.
If you don't have flowers, congratulations, your hands just became props. The best props EVER.

4. "Paso Doble. Bring on Dancing With the Stars."
5. My hands are attacking my head.
6. Now my hands are sunshine!
7. "Weird is the new pretty." One hand covering your ear.
8. Hands can be like friends. The new selfy.
9. My hands are my dearest loves.
10. Fisted hands. Try jumping, and see how vertical you can get your hair.
11. Try standing like a gorilla, or other animal.
12. Waiting for the water to fall into my bucket hands.
13. My hands have to grab my toosh, and run fingers through my hair.
 "I'm amazing. I can't even acknowledge the camera, or it would ruin everything. "

So that's it folks. Take amazing individual photos. Use your hands as the props they were born to be, and never take your opposable thumbs for granted.







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me