Since Thursday night

I was going to review the movie I saw on Thursday, but I couldn't remember what it was.

A lot has happened to me since then. I went to a training in Omaha on after school programs, which are now referred to as After School Enrichment programs. It was awesome. I took a class on performing arts, where I learned about programs that will allow for stop animation, as well as circle time, theater games, visual arts and storytelling. Sidney doesn't have a performing arts after school program, but I can incorporate a lot of the ideas into the programs already existing.  I also accidently went to a poetry class, where we talked about how to teach poetry. I loved it, but I love poetry. So maybe my accident was very intentional.

Here is my poem:
I'm From
Green chili roasting and scrambled eggs steam 
wafting thorugh my bedroom keyhole-
the door without a knob.
The morning sun streaming through
cracked windows that won't 
exactly open, and won't exactly close either.
The sound of wheat grinding in the kitchen is more
more annoying than the rumbling of the 
train along the tracks nearby. 
So close the house shakes.
I feel the weight of my feline friend on the blankets
near my knees. Trying not to move. Pretending
morning hasn't come.
But my mouth is watering-or is that drool?
And my stomach is saying something 
universal.
I can ignore the hunger for now, 
but there is no ignoring an electric wheat grinder.

I learned about a performing spoken poetry program that is intended for teenagers in Nebraska, and I do think it would be fun to have a poetry slam with the high school students and see how it goes. And then I took a marketing class, and it was amazing. I came out with so many great ideas, and a game plan on how to market the program I am part of. Plus, I got to road trip with my co-workers and I learned all about them. I learned that Michelle doesn't listen to the radio while on a trip. Omaha is only 5 or 6 hours away, so not having the radio was only as torturous as pouring lemon-juice in my eyes. I was sure to bring it up a million times, and I sang them some of my own songs to try to motivate the group to mutiny for something better. But, we talked instead, and it was memorable and gave me a lot of material for my stand-up comedy act on Saturday. I will talk about that.

Saturday morning, I ran 8 miles with my runner buds. 5:30 is so early on a Saturday. Apparently, I am getting faster says Meg's GPS watch. That watch knows many things. My favorite thing is when it beeps every time we run a mile. It also keeps our mile splits, which is interesting.

You read that correctly, folks. I did Stand Up. In my basement. It was Ian's birthday wish, and I love that man so much I will do just about anything for him. And so I prepared a comedy act. It took way longer to write the comedy than it did to present the comedy.  The prep took hours. I'd been thinking about it for weeks. The comedy was probably 10 minutes? Maybe? The time went by so fast. How do the professionals do a whole show? We had a crowd of about 30 people. Lots of small children and close friends. They were very kind. Rose brought popcorn. Ian heated up nacho cheese and bought sodas. Ian introduced me, and my craziness. 6 year old Dan did the warm-up act. I loved everything about his Nacho Libre quotes, and joke about his broken cracked bum.

And then last night I went to the General Women's Conference with my 8 year old girl. We wrote notes and drew pictures about the talks on sharing our light with others, and letting God's blessings pour on us. Then we ate treats and talked to our friends.

So...you see, a lot has happened since Thursday night.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me