"Forte means Strong: The Mia and Adam Story, Can Their Love Survive?"

I went to a movie again.

9pm showing of "If I Stay..." or is it "Should I Stay?" The internet confirms "If I stay."

My group of 7 gals were the only ones in the theater. We had 6 buckets of popcorn between us. It was a bit much, but when a popcorn and soda refill are only $3.00, you don't argue. You just buy it, and have leftovers.

I missed most of the previews. There was a football one that looked fun. "When the Game Stands Tall." I always like football movies. Something about those lights on the field and all the locker-room talks. It is just beautiful. I like football movies better than football. I like baseball movies even more than football movies. But, I digress.

"If I Stay" has a girl named Mia. She is very beautiful, and very cello-y. As in, she plays the cello-that wondrous instrument that pretty much sings perfection.  If I were going to rename this movie I would call it "Cellist Choices" "The Rocker Boyfriend vs. Juilliard" or "Forte means Strong: The Mia and Adam Story, Can Their Love Survive?"

The thing about this movie is that it made me cry-because of the emotional pull. Multiple times. It also made me cringe-because of the cheesy lines. Multiple times.
The movie is about a love story between Mia and Adam. Adam is a singer, song-writer, guitarist in an up-and-coming band in Portland. Mia is a shy, very stylish Cellist prodigy. Adam "sees her." Yes, that was one of the lines. " It's too late. I already see you." This was before their first date. He is pretty much into Mia from the second he saw her. She plays hard to get, but not too hard because they are made for each other. They have this romancey, love thing wherein he teaches her the ways of the flesh because she is inexperienced with sex and he knows what forte is (yes that was a line).  They face problems as his band gets more publicity and travels, and she gets ambition to apply to Juilliard and they have to see what their love is made of. Also, she is in a coma throughout the majority of the movie, so there's that. It is a rough time for young love, I tell ya.

However, I found myself completely in love with Mia's parents, brother, and family life. Her retired band parents host the entire town for something they call stragglers dinners on Sunday evenings. They play music, and eat tons of food, and have a bunch of friends over. Her dad is a groovy high school English teacher, which just makes me like him. Her mom is some kind of flight attendant who we never see working. Her little brother is completely adorbz, and her Grandpa is the most heart wrenchingly loving good 'ole truck driving, hard working American man who for sure made me cry the hardest out of all the characters.

The writing was strong, except for the lines leading into romance. The characters were well rounded and the backstory of the parents, especially Mia's dad, was strong. By 30 minutes into the movie, those parents are all of our best friends, which is why you cry so hard when the bad things happen. The acting was also pretty great. Mia convinced me she knew how to play the cello, and Adam convinced me he was awesome and singing and guitaring. The chemistry between the two main characters was really strong. So strong it was inappropriate for high school. Yes, I am a prude. "No sex in your bedroom, even if you have a balcony and he knows what forte is, young lady, and sir." That's what I would say to those two, but I am not the mom in this movie. She is played by a different actress.

I haven't been discovered yet.

I give the movie 3 stars. It was entertaining. It was strong for what it was. It wasn't my favorite movie. I won't watch it again. I won't be allowing my daughters to watch the movie, and if your daughters have watched the movie they saw some laying on the bed kissing naked under blankets action, and heard some cheesy lines. Please tell them that the cheesy pick-up lines are very unrealistic.

Real pick-up lines sounds like this. "Hey, do you want to study Spanish with me in the library?"
Or maybe a little,"Did you watch the football game last night?" Stuff like that.

I won't tell you if she stays. But I will tell you that on one side of the choice is a hot boyfriend who loves her, acceptance to her dream school, and her cello (along with a lot of loneliness and heartache). On the other side is the light that we don't know what it means or where it goes, but it lives in the hall of the hospital.

Questions that remain unanswered: Why can't she walk through doors as a ghost? Where are her shoes? Why does ghost Mia hair look so great? How do ghosts tear ducts make such realistic tears? Why doesn't anyone in this movie text?





Comments

  1. Evelyn, you make me happy. This movie is based on the YA novel of the same title which I read back when I was teaching middle school. It sounds like the movie was very true to the book--cheesy romantic lines, charming family, plays on your emotions, slightly inappropriate and badly written sex scene (in the book he tells her to play him like a cello--it's soooo bad). It's all in there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me