The Convent

Yesterday, I went to a convent. I was so excited the night before I went, I couldn’t fall asleep. Like Christmas Eve.  I’ve never been in a convent before. Except in my imagination, and it was in The Sound of Music.  So...not really.  I don't even know many nuns. There was the one, Sister Desire, and there was a nun on Nacho Libre.  Her favorite color is light tan. I am counting it.

Why?

I was invited to take pictures for my friend who was taking her vows to become a nun.  

Also,  I don’t know if nuns call themselves nuns.  I am calling them nuns. Sister Desire is going to teach at a Catholic all-girls high school in California.  I don’t know a lot about convents. Or Catholicism. Or nuns, the ones I met being also known as Sisters of the Felician Franciscan Order. I’ve been to three or four masses in my life. I kissed a Catholic boy in high school.

My background is Mormonism.  We are encouraged to say "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints," but it is sort of a mouthful and nobody knows what I'm talking about.  I’ve always been Mormon.  I love my religion.  I love the doctrine of eternal families, and the hope of forgiveness.  I am also greatly entertained by my culture.  I think every religion has its own culture, and it takes some getting used to.  I think when you are in the culture, it is hard to even see that it might be odd to someone who isn’t accustomed to it.  

For example, Mormons have stake dances. We don't have stake dinners. Once a month we have an open mic church service, and we call it a testimony meeting. We wear dresses or skirts to church for women and (mostly) white shirts and ties for the men. CTR means Choose the Right.  People wear that on rings, jewelry, scripture bags.  There are a million different things. So, stepping into another religion and its culture was an adventure. 

Some things that were new to me: Holy water (I am capitalizing that because I don’t know), prayers that everyone reads in unison, kneeling at pews, crosses both physical ones and the sign language ones, the clothing, picture taking during religious events, statues, praying to a woman, pretty much everything the priest did at the alter, golden boxes that are opened and closed during ceremonies. 


I heard the story of the birth of baby Jesus like I’ve never heard the birth of sweet baby Jesus before.  There was a red dragon, and the dragon almost ate the Virgin Mary while she was in labor.  Thrilling. Ian tells me this version is in Revelations.  I can’t recall having heard it before.

Even though there were a lot of new things, not everything was foreign. I felt right at home with the singing. Singing hymns, even though they were different than the ones I am used to, was familiar. Flowers at the podium/alter area. We usually have those. The Communion part, which is similar to my passing the sacrament. 

Then there was the part where Sister Desire, the woman was married to her spouse, Jesus.  I looked through the room and there were a lot of these women...all married to one man. Ummm...that’s familiar. Then there was something new, and wonderful.

I don’t do this at my church, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the “Peace be with you.”  Everyone shakes hands or hugs the people nearest to them and says “Peace be with you.”  It makes me feel happy with the world. 


My friend, Sister Desire, made her vows at this ceremony: chastity, poverty, and obedience. She talks about her thought process leading up to this ceremony hereWatching her take her vows made me think about the promises I have made, and how they are different, but similar.  I know I am not a nun. I wear fancy hats and Ninja Turtle t-shirts. I am married and have four kids. I know I am not a nun. But, there are similarities.

Let us speak of holy things: 

Chastity: Sister Desiree entered a spousal relationship with Jesus. 
I will only have sexual relations with my husband. 

Poverty:  Her vow was to live a life of simplicity. 
Well, I didn’t ever promise to be poor. It is just sort of a lucky coincidence. But the principle of sacrifice I think is similar. The less I focused I am on material possessions  and what I don’t have yet, and  the more I let gratitude enter my heart the more satisfied I am.

Obedience: Sister Desire promises to live within the doctrine of the Catholic church in patience, and consider her work prayerfully. 
I feel that being obedient is my way of showing God that I am listening. I am trying. I want to do what is wanted of me.

It was a wonderful day at the convent.  There was a feeling of peace there.  These are women. Women committing their lives to make the world a better place. 

Me too, sisters.  Me too.

Comments

  1. Words cannot express how much I love this. I told a friend a year or so ago that I wanted to take a retreat to a monastery. Actually I probably meant a convent. But you get the idea. She recommended that I read "The Cloister Walk" by Kathleen Norris, a woman who did that very thing and then wrote beautifully about it. I enjoyed living vicariously through her.

    I love your wry sense of humor so, so much. In fact, Susan Wood and I were talking last night and she commented that your FB posts are among the few that are truly worth reading every. single. time. Thank you sharing your writing with the world.

    If you ever decide to run away to a convent, let me know and I'll go, too. ;-)

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Karen, I have thought back on this comment the past week. You really don't know how much it means to me to have you in my corner. I am grateful to know you, and be your soul sister. You will be the first person I call if I run away to a convent. Love you back.

      Delete
  2. Evelyn, I love this post! I don't know if you told me about your blog before, but I just discovered it and am thrilled to now read every single thought you've ever posted in the form of a blog! I agree with Karen H and Susan Wood, your FB posts are always worth reading, unlike most.

    Thank you for sharing your experience of my fisrt vows; it really means a lot to me that you were happy to be there and happy to journey with me even though you are not Catholic. You and Jenny are my only Mormon friends... Since you're both so super I'm considering going out to find some more! Seriously, I love you guys. I feel like you and I were destined to be friends and I am giddy that God didn't make us wait any longer to find each other.

    I'm sharing your post on my FB page! Keep changing the world, my friend. As one of our Sisters from New Jersey says, "Transformed people transform people."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you like it. Thanks for sharing it. Thanks for sharing you, and your special day.

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous pictures. Congrats to Sister Desire on her vows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the congrats, Deja!

      Delete
  4. What a happy post! Congratuations, Sister Desire!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me