Dear Gilbert Blythe

I have always loved you.  I knew you were wonderful from the start, not perfect Gil, but wonderful. I have loved you as long as I have known you.  I've always liked smart boys with teasing eyes, and a knack for saving a damsel in distress.  I like that you are consistent.  No matter what is going on in my real life, I know I can turn to you and watch how you call a red-headed girl "Carrots" and she takes years to forgive you.  Meanwhile, I am falling in love with you all over again. I am watching you compete with Anne Girl for the top spot in school.  My heart is breaking when you give up your teaching spot at the local school for the girl you love to be closer to family.  You are a good man Gilbert Blythe.  And I like how I never have to think of you any other way.  

Thank you for seeing me through high school.  I didn't date a whole lot, and I didn't need to settle because I had you as the standard.  

But, now I am married and you are no longer a possibility.  I am OK with that.  It's OK Gilbert.  It may or may not have worked out between us.  There are so many things I don't really know about you, or how we would be together.  I don't need to know.  

I never have to know that you leave your towel on the floor, or that you are ridiculously clean and would get mad at me for leaving my towel on the floor.   There are a lot of things about me that would bother you.  I never have to find out just how cranky you are after a bad nights sleep, or how disappointed you would be to find out I don't cook dinner every day.  I never have to deal with the fact that you live in Canada with long winters and I get seasonal depression.  Gil, we have a good thing.  Let's just keep things how they are.

Love,
Evelyn

Comments

  1. I love this post! I am sorry to tell you, but I have been in love with Gil for as long as I have known him as well! I guess it's pretty lucky that we never had and never will need to fight over him! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me