My Story about Being "Less-Active"

Do you think your body remembers trauma?

I do. I think it remembers.

I broke my left wrist trying to do a flip on the trampoline in sixth grade, and my right wrist falling while playing basketball the following one. I think my body remembers those. If I took an x-ray I would probably have bone scars or whatever.  My body remembers what it is like to be pregnant because I hear about a woman who is in her first trimester and I get shadows of nausea. 

Does it remember emotional trauma, too?

It happened as many things in life do... with friends. Throughout my life, I have had the happy luxury of making friends with people at every stage of life. My life in Sidney was no different. Moving from Albuquerque to Nebraska was difficult in many ways, but not because I didn't have friends. I had a great group of friends. We ran together, signing up for races that involved eating at a restaurant, and having our husbands watch the children. We had play dates with our children together, planned Christmas parties and birthday gatherings together. Friendship had never been so convenient.  I didn't even look for other friends. These ones met all my needs.

Details won't be included as to why the friendships changed, but there was a very sudden shift in dynamics, and I found myself in a different space. I had gone from being cocooned in friendship, to feeling desperately alone. In addition to the social strain, I was recovering from a severe depressive episode.

As I processed this loss, my place in it, and how to move forward, I was also spending hours doing self-care activities so I could recover from the aforementioned depressive episode. During this time I was a solid "less-active" Mormon. After the initial shock event, my counselor, my husband, and my bishop all agreed that it was a good idea for my mental health to take a month away from church. Instead of church attendance, I would go on long walks. I would listen to a General Conference talk or two, and clean my kitchen while hearing healing music.

Before long, my month was up, and I told myself it was time to go back. In preparation for my return, I ordered a green dress from eShakti to wear for my first Sunday back. The green was to remind me I could grow. I said a mantra that my counselor gave me,"What other people think about me is none of my business." I repeated it time and time again, building confidence in my strength to care for myself and make good decisions. Optimistic that I would be able to navigate this new landscape, I went back. I sat in my pew and held my hymnbook, and tried to comfort my children through sacrament meeting.

My ability to return quickly to the congregation was not quick. As much as I desired my heart to forgive, it wasn't happening. The very place I wanted solace in, brought pain.

In the hallways between meetings, I would stand behind my husband, holding onto his shirt like a child. He wove me through crowds, so I wouldn't have to stop and talk to anyone. On Saturday nights in my bedroom, I would have panic attacks thinking about going to church the next morning, falling asleep sobbing into my pillow. Sometimes, I would get dressed in my green dress for growth, and put on red lipstick for happiness, and get in the car and getting all the way to the parking lot, and then I would walk home. I would walk home crying. Crying, because I felt like failure for not being a better person- for not just getting over it, and moving on.

I've been back at church for almost a year-not quite. Most Sundays I am fine. I take roll in primary. I assign talks. I help out in the nursery with the babies when I can. I feel OK. But, this Sunday, I wasn't OK.

I feel it in the weather-as it changes from freezing to perfect within a day.  I feel it in the hollow place in my stomach when I say the word "friends." I feel it when I see one of the women I call "sister," and I pull back. I think it is because my body remembers.

If I had an ultrasound of my heart, the scar would show up. "Yep, two years ago you faced severe heartache. It looks like it is still healing."

Will it ever forget? Will it ever forgive? Will it? Will it? Will it?

Comments

  1. So glad to see a blog post from the Scampering Horse. Wish I could give you a hug. You are an amazing woman, Evelyn Hornbarger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also so happy to read from you. I believe the body remembers trauma for sure. From what little I know, it's really really common to have problems around the anniversary of a big event like that. I do believe that you and your body will be able to forgive and let go of the trauma eventually. I don't know that you or your body will forget though. I don't know how it will work for you or how long it will take, but I've witnessed it happening in others' lives and I know it will happen for you too if you keep on going. I can't even imagine what possibly happened, but I'm so sorry that it caused you such deep pain. Love your guts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your body remembers everything. It is our own personal recorder of our actions, deeds, and sins. When we stand before God our body will reveal all that we have ever done. There will be no book pulled out of all our actions. The atonement heals our bodies completely and make us whole again. Partaking of the sacrament isn't just about renewing our covenants it's so much more. Partaking of the bread and water literally change our being to be more like the Savior, perfected in Him. When you purposefully take the sacrament you have the power to change your body and the things it records. Faith really is the key. Just like the woman in the crowd who touched the Saviors hem and was healed because she believed, so can you. The stories in the scriptures aren't just nice stories but moreover they quietly call us to take the same actions and we can be healed too. I have been hurt in my life to the point of having PTS. It was so debilitating and I literally would shake and want to curl up in a ball from the trauma I had been through and remembered. Long story short A couple of years ago I finally kneeled down with all of my faith and visualized being at an alter and laying down all my trauma on it. I then visualized the Savior gently taking my pains and turned it into light and handing it back to me but as a new strength (making weak things become strong). I asked my husband to give me a blessing with oil and heal my body too. He also cast out spirits who were chocking my progression. Everything changed I was whole complete again. I know what you are feeling, truely I do. Depression and anxiety were regular visitors in my home and I until I learned that we must cast out with a Priesthood blessing those spirits who are causing us to feel that way. The scriptures are filled with stories of the Savior and His apostles casting out spirits. Why aren't we doing it now? Satan will to all he can to think we have no way out of our depressive mind. Ask your husband to help heal you. Most importantly let the Savior take your trauma and turn it into a strength. I testify He is ready and willing if we do our part. Blessings on your journey. Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me