Legals and New Year Resolutions

I work at the newspaper. The newspaper is a building in downtown. The buildings downtown have upstairs and downstairs. I don't know what the  upstairs look like. I have only seen the downstairs. The desk I sit at is the one closest to the windows, and next to the Christmas tree.

I've been working there a month, and I work part-time. I get the mail, and take the newspaper to the post office where they weigh it and such. I also purchase stamps, occasionally make a deposit, and I write a little bit. I take a few pictures. Mostly, I work on The Legals section.

I want to be a writer when I grow up, and I thought maybe this would be a great way to start. I have had a few articles published and a few more pictures. Rob is my publisher, and he is awesome. He moved in August from Las Vegas, Nevada. He always wanted to be a publisher when he grew up and now he is one. Dreams really do come true in Sidney, Nebraska. I do not want to be a publisher when I grow up.
This is an add from 1963.

Jane taught me how to do legals. Jane has white hair and a bad hip. She loves dogs a little bit more than she loves people, and she is such a dear. We all feel very protective of sweet Jane, and when she says curse words, I kind of think it is hilarious, even though she says them when she is mad. I also work with Charlotte, the ad rep, and she is a delight. She has the most beautiful voice, and is easy to laugh. She takes a smoke break every couple of hours, and she decorates the cakes at Dairy Queen.

Jane taught me the appropriate way to do legals. I open the email. I print the email and the attachment. I give it a number. I copy and paste the email to the template.

I didn't know that the Legal section of the newspaper existed before I started working at the paper. Kind of like I didn't know that Sidney and Disney are the exact same word with one letter switch. Type Sidney-Sun Telegraph 500 times and you will also figure that one out. Disney-Sun and Sidney-Sun feel very different, but are only a letter switch apart.

Legals bored my brains out the first week. Like, the first few days of doing legals, I had a headache. Every single step had details and formatting, and information I needed to remember. But this headache is only because I am not a detail person. A detail person is one who notices the details-like sweet Jane. She notices every detail, and it is amazing. You know how different people have different talents? Some people are good at remembering birthdays, or putting their dishes in the sink, or making great insightful comments in Sunday school? My talents are painting kids faces, witty0banter, loving a well-sculpted beautiful man beard, quoting Dwight from The Office, and I am a word-craft. I craft words in the fiery fires of Mordor aka my brain.  My talent is not details.

That doesn't mean I can't notice details. I can. I am a smart person who can adapt, but it isn't intuitive to me. Also, it makes my head hurt. But, now, I am trained at LEGALS and they don't make my head hurt, and I feel like Legals are important and everyone should get the newspaper, just so they can read the Legal section.

Here's why.

The City Council Meetings are in those legals, including city improvements and such. The budgets are public. The School Board meetings are printed in the legals. When somebody forms a new company, they have to print it up in the legals. Divorce proceedings, estate transfers, bid notices for government projects. I mean people, this is juicy, awesome stuff. I was printing up a legal about an ordinance in Sidney talking about home based businesses. My photography business is allowed, but a day care with more than three children that do not reside at the home is not allowed. See? Isn't that interesting? A cute new company is starting in Sidney called Pins and Needles Embroidery, LLC and they had to publish themselves in the paper. So, if you want to be an informed local voter, it would be important to read those legals in your local paper. There is some relevant stuff in there, and legals have been around for over 100 years. Isn't that interesting? I am so glad I can copy and paste an email instead of typesetting every single letter.
Pictures I have taken and have been published.
So, while you are making your New Year's Resolutions. Maybe reading The Legal section of your local newspaper should be on the list of ridiculous ideas.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me