Demons in My Eyes

I have recently decided to try contacts. It was a casual decision. "You know, it might be nice to be able to see while I play soccer." My vision isn't so bad, but I need glasses to drive at night or I feel like I will die. I needed them in college when I sat in the back of the lecture hall.  I can't really see in movies without my glasses. It is nice to see.

So, contacts. They seemed pretty easy. A lot of my roommates had contacts. I have a couple of sister-in-laws who have them. I've seen the little ketchup like tube of saline solution next to those tiny twisty contact sized tupperware sitting on the bathroom sink. No one in my immediate family wears contacts.

I was so nieve. 

Contacts are like bludgeoning your eyes with your own finger. It is not intuitive.



First the eye doctor stuck his scratchy fingers into them. My eyes. I know because my eyes felt like they were being rubbed with cold sandpaper. Three times. The first pair were too blurry and didn't line up right with my astigmatism in my right eye. The second ones didn't line up with the astigmatism in the left eye. By this time the breath of my eye doctor was very unpleasant. It smelled like he'd been drinking recently, at 10:00 am. I didn't want to to think about that. The third pair stayed in. Basically, I sat in a chair, looked directly into a light, and was tortured three times. I would have told that man anything to make it stop.

"Can you see the letters on the bottom line better?" He asked for the third time.

"Yes. I can. Those letters have never seemed clearer." It was a lie, and I knew it. My stomach was nauseous. My eyes were burning.  My eyes were so disgruntled from the contact torture and lights, everything was blurry. And I was seeing bright lights everywhere in the office. Who knows what those letters on the screen were?

Then off I went to contact school. I hated contact school.

My instructor was a cute little gal with giant eyes.  She showed me how to put my eyelashes into submission while I put the contact in. It looked simple.

It wasn't.

I was able to bludgeon my own eye enough to get the contacts out. Then I needed to put them back in. It took forever. And ever. And ever. Both hands are needed in the task of contacting placing. One hand holds down the feisty eyelashes that have spent their entire existence keeping things out of my eye-successfully. Now I must break their  beautiful wills.The other hand balances the contact on the pointer finger. My instructor with giant eyes kept saying,"No," every time I attempted. She knew I was going to fail before I even got to my eye. "You aren't making your eye big enough." "You need to put the contact on the very tip of your finger." "You are blinking too soon."

AHHHHH!!!!!!!

My brain was thinking how my kids were at the park with friends, and it was starting to snow. I hadn't brought my cell phone. My brain was thinking about every friend I had in high school who "started wearing contacts" and they were superheroes disguised as ordinary teenagers. My brain was thinking how this wasn't that difficult. Maybe my eyes were too small?

My contact instructor assured me they were not too small. They were average.

I finally got the right eye in.
That is what it looks like when I got  the right one in, but I know I still have a whole other eye to go.

I couldn't get the left. I made the contact instructor with giant eyes do it for me. She got it on the first try.


Hello contact. We meet again.
I left the office. Humiliated. Discouraged-with blurred vision. And the contacts that were in my eyes were really irritating. I hated them. I hated the demons in my eyes.

I tried putting them in the next day. It did not go well.

I tried putting them in the day after. I was unsuccessful. I made my stomach hurt again, and I blamed it all on my three year old for constantly distracting me.
There are a lot of ways to do this wrong. One way is getting them stuck on eyelashes.
I tried again the next day. After 30 minutes, I was victorious. So, I guess I wear contacts now. For two hours. Until I take them out. Which is a whole other battle. 

For all you contact wearers, I applaud you. You don't hear it often enough. What you do is brave and difficult. Well done. 

Well done.







Comments

  1. This definitely made me smile :) I hope that was the point, and I don't sound mean..! I teach people to put in contacts A LOT. And trust me, you're not alone. Many people take a long time. I can guarantee that the people teaching you weren't secretly mocking you, so no need to feel embarrassed :) I will say though, that if the contacts are as uncomfortable as they sound, TELL the doctor! You definitely don't want to end up with contacts that hurt you for a year! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for sure meant to make you smile, Gina. I was surprised at how hard it was. Very surprised and my own incompetence. Your work is valued, and I thank you. I would not want to do what you do. Thanks for your professional wisdom, and sage contact wearing advice. I notice you are wearing glasses. You are wise, wise, wise.

      Delete
  2. You do such a good job at not taking yourself too seriously. I need to learn this. The first time I tried contacts I left the eye doctor feeling like I had a new lease on life. I LOVED them. I'm sorry you don't love yours. Astigmatisms suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree 100%! it took me at least 45 minutes to get my first pair in on my own. I will tell you it gets better, but hopefully your perscription is right. otherwise, you're in for a doozie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, "you aren't making your eye big enough!" Come on, grow those eyes Evelyn! I bet you're sick of advice, and this is probably all wrong, but the easiest way for me to put in contacts is to look way over to the corner, stick the contact on the white of my eye, when I hear tiny bubbles popping then I know I got it all the way on, and then use my eyelid to scooch it to the right place. I was never one for poking my finger directly toward my pupil. Also, your doctor sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try BioFinity Toric contact lenses. I was miserable with the Acuvue lenses I had and would take them out after 30 minutes. The BioFinity are so comfortable and have never given me problems with fitting my astigmatism!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me