My Dad, Lonesome Dove, and Gus

My dad used to watch Lonesome Dove over and over and over again.

He watched it so many times he could put the TV on mute, and say the lines of the characters.
My mom did not like it. She did not like the movie, nor did she like the muting and reciting of lines.

"I don't like this movie about pokes, and whores, and scalping women." She would say that.

And my dad would say. "I hate rude behavior in a man." My mom wouldn't know what to say. But, if she would have been listening to the episodes of Lonesome Dove, she would have been able to say

"I despised you then for what you were, and I despise you know for what you're doin'."

My dad would have loved that. He probably would have kissed her on her face. He would have known she was being a sassy Clara in that moment.

When my dad would come home from work he would say "Hello girls." We would all be sitting around on the couch and he would come in and say, hello girls. I have five brothers. I've mentioned that before. I loved it when he would say hello girls. My brothers didn't like it as much as I did.

I am trying to be Gus-like. Adventurous and such

And then my dad would put his lunch box and hard hat beside the refrigerator and say,"What's for supper Mupper?" This is not a quote from Lonesome Dove. It is just rhymey and fun. My dad is his own man, albeit a man of tradition.

I don't think my mom enjoyed being called Mupper either.
My dad feeding cereal to my little boy. He doesn't care if my dad calls him Mupper, yet.

The thing about my dad is, he is hilarious. I think he is anyway. The thing about Lonesome Dove is, that is a really good movie. And the thing about Augustus McCrae is, he is the best.

Gus takes pleasure in simple things, like kicking a pig, drinking a warm glass of buttermilk, or playing a game of poker. He is so far from perfect, but he brings out the humanity and compassion in the wild and ruthless world around him. Not to say he is soft-the man is tough. But, he forgives and makes the most of the moment he is in.

So, I think that is what my dad does, too. He makes the most of the moment he is in, and he enjoys the little things. At least that is the way I like to think of him.
 I would bury you in Texas, in Clara's Orchard if you wanted it, Dad.


Comments

  1. I LOVE this post! My mom hated Lonesome Dove, too, for the very same reasons. :) But I love it. And I also love Augustus McCrae. And I also love YOU! But you know, my oldest is named McRae (for family reasons), and I would love to name a boy Augustus and call him "Gus", but Brian says that's taking things too far. Perhaps I love Lonesome Dove more than he does. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me