Basketball, true love

I have 5 brothers.

No sisters.

I grew up very competitive. The kind of competitive that makes me want to win, and it makes me want you to lose. I've grown out of that for the most part

I loved playing sports.
I am number 40 up on the top right. I was tall then.
I loved sports, especially if that sport was basketball. I've been playing basketball since 3rd grade. I've never been really great at it, but I can hold my own. I know how to box-out. I don't get to play basketball much anymore. Pick up games of basketball aren't much of a stay-at-home-mom activity, unfortunately.

I love the way my shoes squeak on the court. I love they way the ball echoes as it pounds the gym floor. I love the swish of the net when the ball goes through cleanly. I love the feel of the pass when I catch the ball in my hands. I like to shove people while I am under the net fumbling around for rebounds. I like the sound of my feet pounding down the court, and the mind games I play as a defender. I love playing basketball.

So, March comes around every year and it is madness. Complete madness. I do not get into the NBA thing, but I do love watching high-school basketball, and I love watching the NCAA tournament. It is full of surprises. I fill out a bracket based on emotion, and watch as it crumbles beneath me.

My husband doesn't share my passion, although I feel like he is coming around. The first year we were married I tried to get him to watch the championship game with me. I made it fun by making it into a bet, and I let him have the team that was likely to win. I like a good game, and I am happy cheering on the underdog. Ian fell asleep. ASLEEP! And it was a good game. I couldn't believe it.

This year, he filled out a bracket all by himself. I am so proud. He is even checking it every hour to see how his bracket is holding up. We are both doing terrible. Just terrible. And, I am so happy.

MARCH MADNESS!

Comments

  1. The best part of Brad getting an MBA is me getting to play intramural basketball again. Although, as a pregnant, almost 30 year old Mom, in the company of other Moms of young children, our team doesn't always do so well against the straight out of high school group. Still, playing basketball again has been a highlight of our two years here. We should make pick-up basketball more of a stay at home mom activity. Let's get that started. I haven't filled out a bracket or watched a game yet. I'm a bit ashamed of myself. Thanks for another blog post - they always make me happy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me