Dream Job

I got paid to go to yoga.  But, only because I took three teenage boys with me. They didn't want to take their shoes off, it was precious.

Remember how I started going to a yoga class? Well, I am still going. I have also started a new job. My dream job, excpet maybe for taking care of baby pandas in China.

I saw this picture and thought maybe I would like this job better. Nevertheless, there aren't panda conservations in Nebraska, so I am going with my other dream job. I am teaching life skills classes and offering family support to teenagers who need it. Most of the teenagers are boys. So here is my job.

I teach life skills classes. Some of the classes are improving self-esteem, critical thinking skills, nutrition and exercise, and sexual health.  If I am not teaching I am going to a class. Creative Expression. One day we painted pictures. One day we wrote haikus. Guys, I love these classes.

Then, if I'm not doing that, I am supervising the cooking of dinner. Hamburgers. Taco Salad. Pancakes. Delicious. We all eat the food together.

Then, once all that is over, we all go to the community center for exercise. Do you know what teenage boys love to do? Play basketball. Do you know what I love to do every day? Play basketball.

I get to do this twice a week after my husband comes home from work. During the day, I've been busy writing curriculum for the life skills and a proposal for a county group home while taking care of my precious little darling children. Dream job.

So, I have this yoga class. But, since I've started working I only get to go to evening yoga once a week even though it is offered twice a week. My boss told me if I could get one of the boys to come with me, I could go to the Thursday night class. Three boys said they would come.

Child's pose. I'm getting better at it.
They turned up the radio in my van as loud as I would let them. Then they talked about farting, and how they couldn't wait to see the hot girls in yoga pants. Once we got to class, they kept their shoes on. They felt safer. One of their friends came into the class and faced his friends instead of the teacher. It was awkward, but he was committed to facing the wrong direction. He (the friend) only made it 15 minutes before he ran out of class. It takes a tough constitution to make it through a yoga class. I totally get it. I was so proud of my three boys, though. They stuck it out and were trying through the whole class. They extended side angled, dead bugged, and corpse posed it with the best of us. I don't expect any of them to come back, but it takes courage to do something new. Something uncomfortable and different.

Even if you have to keep your shoes on to do it.

Comments

  1. So Fun Ev!!! I want to come to yoga with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It caused sweet giggles to come through my throat

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like the best job ever. You are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those boys will be fathers someday. Perhaps they already are. The skills you are giving them may make a difference for generations. I love how you make a lasting difference in the world, whatever you are doing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Depression and Church Attendance

Crying after the Trunk or Treat

God still talks to me